Friday, September 5, 2008

Favorite Designer

Why Isaac?

“They’re not trendy clothes, they’re chic.”

Whenever I began to think about this assignment I was completely confused as to what designer might be my favorite. Of course as a CARS major one would think I’d be able to rattle off designers and reasons for liking their lines, but I was stumped. To me high fashion designers seemed to be the obvious choice, but that’s a little mundane. Although the average person does not think Isaac Mizrahi when they think of runway, I beg to differ and wish to shed a bit of light on his brilliance.
It is not in the mind of most designers to create pieces that won’t be seen on the runways of Milan or New York, so to master ready-to-wear for everyday women is genius. “Known as much for custom-made ball gowns as tweed jackets” Isaac brings high fashion to the suburbs, through a convenient retailer and at an affordable price. I love Isaac’s designs because they’re fresh as
well as stylish because he adapts the runway to everyday. He creates the illusion that we, as middle class Americans, have become the new “it girls” of New York and his newest designs have been catered specifically to us. Isaac has been described as designing “cheap-chic” and his talents don’t end there, he also designs shoes, bags, bedding, various accessories, etc., and although Mizrahi’s pieces are not one-of-a-kind, buyers cannot get enough.

Stick thin models are commonly used due to the appeal they create for the modeled clothes. Although I believe this to be impractical as well as untrue the situation remains as such. Just because a garment is offered in various sizes does not mean that it was designed for bigger women or that it will flatter them, and with a broad range of sizes existing in modern women I think it’s vital to a designers success to cater to all of them. Through personal observation I have seen Isaac’s line look great of all body types. My sisters and I vary drastically in shape and size and are able to fit, and feel comfortable wearing his clothes.
In essence Isaac Mizrahi is my favorite designer because of his ability to reinvent the runway and produce a ready-to-wear line that is within price, and is extremely fashionable. I respect Mizrahi for establishing himself with Target, and hope that he can produce the same results in revitalizing Claiborne’s line.


No comments: